The best way to begin planning your move is to use a timetable and a checklist. The checklist will also involve the entire family in the move and you can assign specific tasks to each person, including your children. Today we will see at how your moving timeline should look like.
You’ll feel better prepared for the move with every single item checked off. As the weeks pass by, the checklist will ensure that nothing is forgotten.
Eight weeks before you move
- Arrange your moving day by contacting your personal adviser in Sofia, Athens, Belgrade, Pristina, Skopje and Zagreb.
- Clean your attic, basement, storage shed of items you don’t use.
- Frozen foods, cleaning supplies and other items you cannot move should used up.
- Contact institutions in your new community to gather as much information as possible.
Six weeks before you move
- If the move you are planning is requested by your employer, arrange with him the split of expenses and responsibilities.
- Consult your accountant about deducting some of the moving expenses from your taxes.
- It’s time to start inventorying your belongings. Make a list of items that you can sell or donate. Is there anything that you don’t need anymore?
- Start notifying anyone that needs to know about your move: friends, colleagues, financial institutions, subscriptions, etc.
- Subscribe to the local paper in your new city to familiarise yourself with local life.
- Gather all your motor vehicle registrations and licenses.
- If you have to store some of your goods, contact your relocation consultant for help arranging the details.
- Obtain copies of your personal records from your doctor, accountant, lawyer, etc and ask for referrals if possible.
Four weeks before you move
- Notify the post office about your change of address.
- Organize transportation for your pets and plants if necessary.
- Contact utility companies for disconnection at your old and connection at the new address (gas, electric, heating, water, telephone, internet, etc.). However, remember not to disconnect phone and utilities at your current home before the end of the moving day.
- Notify insurance companies about your move and arrange coverage for your new home.
Three weeks before you move
- Arrange and make reservations for your moving trip. Don’t plan the trip for the same day that you’re moving out. The actual moving day could be delayed. Other unexpected situations could also arise.
- Gather all your important papers.
- Close your accounts at your local bank and open accounts in your new location.
Two weeks before you move
- Service your automobile for the trip and prepare it for weather conditions at your new destination.
- Schedule the use of elevators at your old and new locations if the buildings are supplied with lifts.
- Review and confirm all arrangements for your move with your personal moving adviser.
One week before you move
- Take back the contents of your safety deposit box, return books and videotapes rented, collect your possessions let for use.
- Get copies of your pets’ veterinary records and make any immunizations required.
- Drain gas and oil from any power equipment you use.
- Give away plants that you will not move.
- Make a list of directions to your new home that will be given to your moving company.
Two to three days before the move
- Defrost all your freezers and refrigerators.
- Disconnect and prepare for the move your major appliances and arrange the companies that should disconnect special equipment.
- Pack the personal items that you will need immediately at your new place. Have them loaded last or put them in the car that you will use during the move.
- Set aside the things that you are taking with you on the trip so you don’t forget them on the moving day.
- Confirm the arrival time of the moving van with your personal relocation adviser and notify him/her of any last minute situations that have occurred meanwhile.
- Assign a member of the family at home to answer the loading crew’s questions.
- Record the numbers of all utility meters.
- Read all the papers before signing them. Keep these documents in a safe location until all charges are paid and any claims, if arising, have been settled. Our moving advisor from the offices in Sofia, Athens, Belgrade, Pristina, Skopje or Zagreb will remain at your disposal in case you need assistance on the moving day.
What our Customers say:
From the beginning to the end service were done highly professional, they were keeping me informed on time and all the questions answered promptly. Extra special acknowledgement to the Manager & the Crew leader with the team, all of them are exceptionally professional.
I will recommend Matrix Relocations to everyone I know, and who ever moves with you would be lucky.
By Louise C of Paris, France
Read More Testimonials